Is It Stalking?
It’s is a crime in all 50 states. It is the act or an instance of stalking or harassing another in an aggressive, often threatening and illegal manner causing fear.
– Follow you to work, school, and/or other daily activities.
– Send unwanted texts, calls, letters, gifts, etc.
– Make threats to you directly or indirectly.
– Make threats to friends or family.
– Post information or spread rumors about you.
Information retrieved from http://sites.jcu.edu/vpac/pages/stalking/stalking-statistics/
And from the following sources:
– Stalking Victimization in the United States, Department of Justice, 2009
– Fisher, Cullen, & Turner. (2000). “The Sexual Victimization of College Women,” NIJ/BJS.
– National Stalking Resource Center (org/src)
– Black, M.C., Basile, K.C., Breiding, M.J., Smith, S.G., Walters, M.L., Merrick, M.T., Chen, J., & Stevens, M.R. (2011). The National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey (NISVS): 2010 Summary Report. Atlanta, GA: National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
– Persons aged 18-24 years experience the highest rate of stalking.
– One in 6 women and one in 19 men in the United States have experienced stalking during their lifetime.
– During a 12-month period, an estimated 14 in every 1,000 persons age 18 or older were victims of stalking.
– 13 percent of college women were stalked during one six to nine-month period.
– About 43 percent of victims stated that police were contacted at least once regarding the stalking.
– Approximately one in four stalking victims reported some form of cyberstalking such as email or instant messaging. Electronic monitoring was used to stalk one in 13 victims (i.e. GPS monitoring, bugs, phone tapping, or video).
– 46 percent of stalking victims felt fear of not knowing what would happen next.
– 2% of female victims of stalking were stalked by a current or former intimate partner.
– 31 percent of the women who are stalked by an intimate partner are sexually assaulted by that partner.
– The average duration of stalking is 1.8 years.
– 80 percent of campus stalking victims knew their stalker.
– Three in 10 victims reported being injured emotionally or psychologically from being stalked.
These are just some of the indicators of sexual assault and stalking. Please speak with an advocate about what is happening in your relationship. Contact Us.